THE famous Onion bread
2 1/2 lbs sweet onions, peeled
1 cup ground sunflower seeds
1 cup ground golden flax seeds
1/2 cup olive oil
3 oz. Nama Shoyu
Put onions in food processor with 's' blade and process until small pieces, (but not mush). Put in mixing bowl with the other ingredients and mix thoroughly. The flax will absorb liquid. Smooth onto teflex sheets* about 1/4" thick and place in dehydrator for 5 hours, turning over for another 3-4 hours or until dry and crispy. Either break into pieces or cut with a pizza cutter, and store in refrigerator in an airtight container.
*If you don't have an Excalibur dehydrator, any type will do - just use natural unbleached parchment paper instead of the teflex sheets.
Rainbow Vegetable Flax Seed Crackers
Makes 4 Dehydrator trays
5 Cups of purified water
4 Cups golden flax seed presoaked
3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup of purple cabbage
1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
4 small Carrots or 1 orange pepper, coarsely chopped
1 yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
4 Ribs celery, coarsely chopped
½ Cup minced parsley, cilantro, or spinach
¼ white onion
2 Cloves of garlic, minced
¼ Cup Lemon Juice
2 Tsp. basil
2 Tsp. oregano
1 Tsp. thyme
1 Tsp. poultry seasoning
2 Tsp. sea salt
1. Presoak flax seeds in 5 cups of water for at least 1 hour or overnight. Place in a large mixing bowl.
2. Puree fresh tomatoes, lemon juice, garlic and seasonings in the food processor. Add to the flax mixture.
3. Process all the vegetables individually in the food processor until finely chopped but not pureed. Add to the flax mixture.
4. Stir the flax mixture until well combined.
5. Using about 3 1/4 cups of the mixture and an offset spatula, spread the mixture about ¼” thick onto Teflex sheets on the dehydrating trays. Score into squares or triangl es with a plastic utensil so as not to damage the Teflex sheet.
6. dehydrate for at least 12 hours. The crackers easily separate from the Teflex sheets without stickiness, usually after 12 hours. Remove the dehydrator tray. Flip the crackers by placing a mesh and another tray on top of the crackers. Hold both sides of the sandwiched trays and flip them towards you so the top tray is now at the bottom. Remove the new top tray and the mesh. Now peel off the Teflex sheet from the crackers, which are now facing downward. Return the crackers to the dehydrator for approximately an additional 4 hours until completely dry.
7. Let cool before storing by leaving them on the dehydrator trays outside of the dehydrator or inside of the dehydrator with the door open.
8. Store crackers in an airtight container in a cool dark cupboard, fridge or freezer.